[APD] Re: Qs: Water conditioners, algae, PMDD

Hi Alex, I'll tackle just one of the questions, about water conditioners.

I use simple sodium thiosulphate to treat chlorine only. Nothing to bind
heavy metals, nothing to balance electrolytes, or sooth stress (?) or add
slime or anything. Also not for chloramine so if they switch one day I'll be
in trouble. I do have Prime on hand for emergencies where I may be concerned
about ammonia or nitrites or chloramine. Prime does lock up ammonia yet
bacteria are still able to process it, so it is a very good product.

Sodium thiosulphate is available in bulk and since I bought a 5 pound bucket
and am using it at a rate of 1 ounce per one quart distilled water, and that
is used at a rate of 1 drop per gallon of tank water, I have some to spare
and offer it for sale every so often on some of the forums.

Ann Viverette

> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:43:36 -0400
> From: "Alex Vakulenko" <alexv at vakcer_com>
> Subject: [APD] RE:  Qs: Water conditioners, algae, PMDD
> To: "'aquatic plants digest'" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> Hi again,
>
> I have sent this message a couple days ago and I haven't received any
> response,

>....I use Fluval 304 canister filter and
> up till recently I had my own DIY yeast CO2 injection.
>
> I've been battling red algae for quite some time>
>.......upgraded to
> pressurized system .....This was done a couple days
> ago..

> Ok, now that I introduced myself :) I have a few questions. First, is
> regarding tap water conditioner. I've been reading contradicting things
> regarding various products available. A lot of people recommend AmQuel for
> planted tanks (as it doesn't bind heavy metals) but some others (even on
> this list) say otherwise. What do you use and what would you recommend?
Keep