  From: John Van Rees<mailto:revjohn at spiritone_com>
  To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com<mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
  Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 9:39 AM
  Subject: [APD] Massive Fish Kill

  Ok... I had an expensive learning lessen Monday morning.. and would like
  input so it doesn't happen again.

  Sunday we did a 30% water change on a 45 gallon planted tank. I added  a
  couple of caps of fluorish iron and Fluorish. This may have been foolish...
  but I thought it was way look on ferts so didn't even think about it.being
  stupid. I didn't do any tests on the water as everything was looking healthy
  with no problems.. fish and plants. I added co2 through a DYI.  There was a
  surge of CO2 as I lowered the water level but this has not caused a problem
  in the past so I wasn't concerned.

  Monday morning I woke up to 95% dead fish.... 3 Altums, 3 Clown Loaches, 5
  Rainbow fish, 5 cardinals, 2 SAE's. ACK!!!!!!

  I immediatly pulled out water to test.... and then did a 50% water change.
  After the water change I tested the water I pulled out before the water
  change. The PH was off the chart (for the low range) of my Aquarium
  Pharmaceuticals Kit.  Ammonia was 0, Nitrites was 0. I then tested tap
  water... off the charts as well. (not usual for Portland Oregon water!).
  After water change I thought to test to see what the levels for CO2 were and
  Iron to see if I poisened the fish from not being careful with the ferts.
  Iron was .01 and Co2 was 8 ( I think I remember that right) tested with a
  Red Sea test kit. So.. even with a 50% water change of the Iron and Co2 was
  doubled it wouldn't be enough to cause the kill, or would it?

  I again tested the PH after the 50% water change and it was still of the
  charts...so I added 1 TSP of calcium carbinate to bring it down.. which it
  did to 6.5.

  I can only figure that the tap water was such a high PH that it caused a
  huge ph swing and that is the culprit.

  The remaining fish... one pair of Rainbows, on Honey Gourmami and 5
  cardinals are looking great.

  Any input or advice is welcome.. but please no demeaning remarks.... I have
  all ready done that to myself.

  Thanks,

  John Van Rees