Re: [APD] RE: Aquatic vs Aquarium Plants

Good Point Steve,
Trying to put one definition to the term "aquatic plant" is like putting a
single term to the word "Weed".

"A weed is any plant going out of place."

This term is so broad and can be tagged to just about anything.
An aquatic plant is termed with a loose definition too. What plants can live
in a completely submerged realm? Aspidistra or parlor plant (also called
Iron plant) is not an aquatic at all, it doesn't even grow near water much
less found underwater but it's such a hardy plant that it can live
submerged. it can also live without water, in fact it can fit into just
about any environment except cold weather.
So is a terrestrial plant defined as a plant that can't live submerged for
it's normal lifespan? Or is an aquatic plant defined as a plant that cannot
live terrestrially? Boy that's tough, since many plants fall into a category
of "Semi-aquatic" or "Semi-Terrestrial" ??
Not attempting to start a debate, just questioning a term and not in a "I
know it all" slang  as the person who knows it all usually doesn't.IMHO.I
would like to hear your view on this subject.
Mark J. Bethke
Mark & Peta, Max & Sam Bethke
mbethke at socal_rr.com
8450 Canby Ave.