Re: [APD] Concerns over water circulation and filtration

Greetings Walter,
Boy that's a good question, I'd say give it a try with no fish, check to see
what chemistry could be noted (ammonia/nitrates/PH stabilization) and if the
filtration is proper and you have good levels drop in a few fish and see
what happens . Since it's a large aquarium you have more "Fudge Factor" to
buffer against dangerous levels.and yes plants are some of the best filters
but so are fresh water clams as they eat detritus and decaying veggie matter
so that's yet another filter you could work with.
Most people don't have knowledge with clams (bivalvia) or snails
(gastropodia) and these can be a great source of janitors for the tank. I
keep three different snails in my tank , all three are kept under control
with my clown loaches that are molluscivorous and relish the snails, they
even seem to like to drop the empty shells in the very front of the
aquarium. The Malaysian Turret snails (sorry but I don't have this species
in my books so I can't add a latin name to it ) anyways they eat only
decaying vegetation and left over fish food .
I hope all works out ,,,
Mark & Peta, Max & Sam Bethke
mbethke at socal_rr.com
8450 Canby Ave.