From: <jppurchase at rogers_com>
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 11:57 AM
Subject: [APD] Re: Caladiums

"I am thinking about adding caladiums but with only the roots in water as
that's the habitat they come from."

According to Cook (Aquatic Plant Book, 1996), there are around 10 species of
Caladiums plus numerous hybrids. Two species are claimed to be aquatic and
he has a line drawing of Caladium bicolor in the book. He doesn't name the
other aquatic species. Most Caladiums by nature are helophytes - they grow
beside bodies of water, rather than in the water. Your idea of letting the
roots grow into the aquarium might work very well, if you can provide enough
light for the leaves and keep the tuber out of the water. They like shade
but still need quite bright illumination, plus high humidity. Being in the
US you are lucky, there are many specialized dealers selling Caladiums mail
order - the standard garden Caladium is usually a hybrid but some of the
specialized dealers might have species. An email to them might locate one of
the aquatic species.

James Purchase
Toronto