[APD] Re: Critiques welcome

At 12:03 PM 4/5/2004 -0400, Robert Zink wrote:
The tests I have for today are:

Nitrates  0
GH  4,   KH  9
pH  7.7

The KH appears to be coming down on its own now.

Last week I upgraded the lighting and now it appears I am becoming an algae
farmer. Not out of hand yet.

My guess is that by upgrading your lighting, you went from the "low light success zone" to the "algae zone" above it in the following chart:

http://www.svas.info/Newsletter/success-zone.html

If the chart is correct, then you can lower the lighting back to what it was (move vertically back down), or start dosing nutrients (move to the right, back into the success zone).

Here are great places to start reading about nutrients:

http://groups.google.com/groups?th=46a6d3ac47d9fa76

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200312/msg00442.html
(click THREAD NEXT at least a few times to read the interesting discussion that followed)

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200309/msg00027.html

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/fert/est_index/est_index1.html