[APD] adsorption of phosphate ions by diatomaceous earth or other materials

Can anyone with a technical background comment on the following as it
relates to phosphate adsorption by diatomaceous earth?

<http://www.scipress.com/adsorption,_ion_metal,_diatomaceous_earth.htm>

I suspect that there a number of materials that are capable of adsorbing
ions aside from activated carbon. Zeolite + Acinetobacter calcoaceticus
is another promising phosphate remover.

See <http://public.srce.hr/ftbrfd/41-331.pdf>

I believe I previously mentioned zeolite for sequestering ammonia in the
substrate. Any comments on zeolite?

A good summary of chemical filtration of aquariums:
<http://www.fnzas.org.nz/filtration-3.0.html>

Steve P in Vancouver, Canada

3 words: Romeo Dallaire & Rwanda
<http://www.ushmm.org/conscience/events/dallaire/media/media.php>