RE: [APD] pH shock - Discus and low pH

I'm not a discus keeper, but it is my understanding
that what discus require is low bacterial activity.
Bacterial activity tends to slow-down when pH is
lowered (hence the popularity of mayonaisse prior to
refrigeration) and it ceases around 4.0.  Because
discus come from water with a low pH they don't have
the same immune response to bacteria as fish that
have been more exposed to bacteria in their home
environment.

thanks,
Rod