Re: [APD] pH shock

pH shock, or something like it, used to kill my
red wags on a regular basis.

Back when I was dumb I used to go to the grocery
and buy RO water at 25 cents a gallon to use for
top-off and water changes in a 120 gallon planted
tank.  I thought my plants wanted soft water.

Problem was that after a few months the
plants would use up all the buffer, the pH would
crash and the first I knew about it was always
a dozen or so floating bodies.

I blush to say it took me a couple of cycles to
figure this out.

Now I top-off with tap water, the aquarium water is
hard as a rock, the pH is stable, and everyone, plants
and fish included, are healthy and happy.

Now, was that a pH shock problem or something to do
with TDS?

Thanks,
Rod