Re: [APD] How do you guys do water changes?????

I don't know if this could be the cause of the swelling, but do you bring the
water to the same temperature before adding it to the tank? You might consider
buying a 10 gallon tank (you can buy them for about $10 at stores like Meijer
or WalMart) and put your fresh water in it with a heater and powerhead. You
can keep the empty 10g in a closet or something until you need it, then pull
it out, fill it up and let it run for a while. By the time the water comes up
to temperature, the dechlor will have had time to mix well and you can
possibly test/adjust some water parameters before adding it. It is also VERY
convenient if you have a STURDY shelf near your tank that is above the tank to
place the 10g on while doing this. If you can do that it is very easy to
siphon the water from the 10g to your tank, and it creates less turbulence
thus reducing stress on the fish and saves your co2 (as opposed to sloshing
water out of a gallon jug... glug glug glug).
 I have a small tank mounted on the wall in my laundry room. I fill it with RO
water and add the ro-right etc. and then fire up the powerhead and heater.
When it is all mixed/heated I use a length of tubing that is attached to the
small tank to fill the big tank in the other room. It is very nice, open the
valve and "whoosh" fills the tank up with fresh water. Because I use the RO
water and add the same stuff each time, there is very little variation in
water parameters between the fresh and old water. The fish hardly know
anything happened.