From: David Terrell [mailto:Dave at TerrellClan_com]
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 8:54 PM
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: [APD] Training the Chain Gang, and others

I (not so) recently aquired some chain swords to grow out the foreground of
my tank, 6 in all.  I have probably about 12 now.  I'm assuming these are
easy to train so I don't have little chain swords growing out under my
amazon sword all the way in the back.  I decided to experiment with one of
the straglers and replaced it to the front somewhat along the glass...we'll
see how that goes.  I have another that's headed back 4 or 5 new sprouts to
my ruben sword so I guess I'll soon move that one, chain and all...unless I
should for some reason break the chain and replant them individually?

I also have a few clumps of micro sword which I've been trying desperately
to grow out to a good 'lawn.'  I figured if I couldn't get that to grow in
well, the chains would get somewhat the same effect.  I had originally taken
the clumps out of the little basket pot and loosened it up a bit, then
wiggled it into the gravel.  It seemed to root pretty well, but it isn't
spreading like I'd hoped.  So I took one out an broke it into a bunch of
small pieces, some were just a small root bunch with 1 blade attached, most
were a few blades and a small root bunch.  I made this into a small square
somewhere in the range of 6"x6" about .5-1" apart I guess.  I hope this will
grow in together to achieve the effect I want.  Is either one a better
route?  It's growth rate is pathetic in comparison to some of the other
plants.  Perhaps some other plant would suit that role better.

Next question.  My substrate seems to be kind of hardening at the top.  I
originally thought it was perfect substrate, #1 quartz sand-ish about 2-3mm
I think for the most part.  I'm going to have to (sadly) move the tank
probably over the summer, I'd probably want to replace what I have with
something more appropriate for good growth.  I always hear the suggestions
of flourite and others.  Where the hell do I find this stuff?! (Moving MA ->
MA).

I'd also like to thank Tom and Scott H. for their help in ferts and CO2
stuff.  I haven't reached the level CO2 I really want yet, and I think it
might be largely caused by my overflow.  I've been adding CO2 at an
incredible bubble rate getting out the desired levels.  However, my fert
schedule has become less guesswork to me now so I'm quite pleased.

TIA,
Dave T.

recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

"Secure Server" made the following
 annotations on 03/30/2004 09:30:50 AM
------------------------------"This e-mail, including attachments, may include
confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the
person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not
the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby