Re: [APD] Re: advice issue

Quoting SunflwrgrlS at aol_com:

> Ok, forgive my naivete -- but what is the difference between making moonshine
>
> and making beer or wine?  Why is moonshine illegal and the others ok? To me,
>
> it's all alcohol...?

It's not the alcohol that makes it illegal (except during prohibition).

First of all, the process of distilling is VERY dangerous if you don't know
what you are doing. It is quite possible to blow your house up... maybe your
neighbors too (depending on how big the still is). There is no risk of large
explosions while making beer or wine.

Second, the end product can also be dangerous if you don't know what you are
doing. If you make beer or wine and mess it up, chances are it will taste
REALLY bad... if you don't know what you are doing making distilled hard liquor
and mess it up it can do much much worse. It can cause blindness or even kill
you. This is where the term blind drunk came from... people making moonshine
and it blinding them.

I appologize to everybody who is getting ticked off because this conversation
really doesn't belong on this email list... I just wanted to clear up the small
joke I made about using DIY CO2 in a dorm room... it was just a joke. I didn't
expect it to cause so much discussion. However people are learning a lot...
just not about aquatic plants.