RE: [APD] (no subject)

> 1. I saved quite a bit of mulm and haven't washed the gravel. Should I use
> this mulm to start the new tank? (It has not been established what killed
> the other tank).

I would play it safe and NOT use it. Even if the mulm is safe, chances are the
bacteria will die off before you get the tank up and running again. I suppose
it is possible to keep it alive in a small tank or bucket with a powerhead or
something, but if it has already sat stagnant for a while, it is probably
already dead. So I don't think it's worth the risk.

> 2. If I can use the mulm, do I still need a peat substrate?

Peat and mulm aren't the same thing, but I'm not going to get into that. I
don't use peat anyway... just use 100% flourite. If you would like more
information about the use of peat there is lots of information in the archives.

> 3. Can I put down a finer gravel and then use the old large gravel on top?

Again, I like the Seachem Flourite

> 4. How long should the new planted tank sit before I can start adding new
> fish?

The tank will need to cycle before adding fish (that you want to keep). You
want to put in a few inexpensive and hardy fish to introduce ammonia and start
the cycle. Keep tabs on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, once you
have observed a complete cycle, it is safe to add your fish. It usually takes
4-6 weeks for the tank to cycle. If you do some reading you will find that
there are actualy many ways to cycle your aquarium... all have their
advantages/disadvantages.

Personally I would sterilize EVERYTHING... if you don't think it can be
thoroughly sterilized, throw it away. I would classify gravel as "hard to
sterilize" so I would just replace it. Its a good excuse to buy something
better suited for a planted aquarium :-)