re: bject: [APD] cheap pH meters!

Hiya...

I'be been using one of these PH meters for about a year. Here are some of my observations on it:

#1 Youi can find them on Ebay for about $20-25.

#2 You should calibrate them with standard PH calibration solutions maybe once a month or so.

#3 They do a decent job.... but make sure when you are taking a reading that you are at least 12 inches or more from your lighting hood. Ideally, take a water sample in a clean cup and make the measurement awayt from any light hoods or powerheads. For the longest time I was having problems with the PH value drifting all over the place when taking a reading at the tank top. I talked to tech support at Hanna Instruments and we determined that the problem went away when I turned the CF lights off.

I have compared the measurements against the lab-grade PH electrode attached to my Hanna PH controller and they correlate well as long as you do at least a monthly calibration with PH standards.

Regards

Lorenzo Rota
Santa Cruz, California

Message: 2