[APD] Why is my KH increasing?

Hello,
First, I have been lurking here for several months and also reading through the archives and want to thank everyone who contributes for all your great questions and answers, the information has been a great help to me.

Second, my question:
My 50 gallon planted tank has been up for only 2 or 3 weeks.  3.8 WPG CF, 3' Eco-complete, CO2 about 30 ppm on controller, 18 watt UV, Eheim 2028, heavily planted (can only see substrate in a few spots). No fish yet, about 100 newly added Malaysian Trumpet Snails and a few accidental pond snails.

My tap KH is 3.4 and when I filled the tank before the plants it stayed steady at this level in the tank.  When I added the plants I threw in about 50-100 various sized MTSs to start a new colony.  Now when I test my KH it is increased, was as high as 11 a few days ago.  I did a 50% water change which brought it back to 5 or so, now it is on its way back up and was 7 today.  I have been fertilizing with dry nutrients and TMG for traces, at ½ the recommended dose.

So why is my KH increasing?  My tap still tests at 3.4.  The only thing I could come up with is the snails I tossed in are dissolving and causing it to increase.  I have my CO2 on controller which was set at 6.6-6.7 for a CO2 around 30.  When I tested my KH the other day and it was high my pH was still the same because of the controller so my CO2 was up around 80.  No fish yet so no harm done I suppose.

If it is my snails will it just keep increasing after water changes?  I thought the snails would take up calcium and decrease my KH but maybe it is just too acidic for them?  And with such low numbers I can't imagine them having this much of an effect on the chemistry.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tony

You can see the tank here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6101
I think you have to sign up to see the pics though, sorry I don't have them anywhere else.