RE: [APD] Corys Not Active

Message: 1 Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:02:54 -0500 From: "Bill Wallace"
<bwallace at mitra_com> Subject: RE: [APD] Corys Not Active To: "aquatic
plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

DO AN IMMEDIATE WATER CHANGE.  Sorry for yelling, but you will kill
your cories at 0.5 PPM ammonia.  Do a 100% water change now, and then
25% water changes every day for the next week, and then 25% changes
ever 3 days after that for another month.  It is a nuisance, but
otherwise none of your fish will live with that many fish, unless you
have a ton of plants (which you must not given the ammonia level).
Also, for at least a while, use Amquel or another ammonia removing
dechlorinator.  Cories are very active fish, and are a good indicator
that something is wrong with your tank.

Bill

-----Original Message----- From: Jason Hatton
[mailto:romans837 at roadtripseekers_com] Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004
11:34 AM To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com Subject: [APD] Corys Not
Active

I just set up my tank.

The tank is about 4 days old and I have 4 mollies, a betta, a bala shark, and two cory juliis.

The corys don't appear to be moving much and I haven't seen them eat anything yet. I looked around on the web to see what other people
said about their corys and most said they were pretty active and
always foraging from food.

I am a little concerned about them but, wondering if I really should
be.

The tank as of yesterday had ammonia at .5 ppm pH is still iffy but my guess is is 7.6. It is sitting on the boundaries of my test kit. No nitrites yet although I put bio spira in the tank four days ago. I am surprised nothing is happening yet.

Can't disagree with Bill's advice, but one other thing you can do immediately is get that pH down to 7 or below.

You have lethal amounts of ammonia at a pH of 7.6 (or likely above), and simply dropping the pH can relieve the pressure (converts it to harmless ammonium) until the water changes get rid of the excess. A lot of boiled peat in a filter bag, or even (gag) a neutral buffer can be useful. In an emergency, I'd even add a bit of vinegar (testing every 5-10 minutes) to get the pH down to safer levels.

It will probably drift back up if your substrate has any (divalent ion) carbonates, as they dissolve in the more acidic water. Test and test again, but keep pH below 7.5 at the very highest, until your ammonium tests at zero.

Just my $0.02. [Actually, free advice is worth every penny!]

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net
                    760 872-3995

"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to
produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the
education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?" [Alan Keyes]