Re: [APD] Re: siphon saga -- or - Don't fence me in

I think you're right on the money. There's always something
that can go wrong. You have to cover the bases of the most
probable or catastrophic possibilities and then, apply
Occam's razor to the range of solutions.  some pumps cn run
dry indefinitely but most canned rotor pumps, which covers
most aquarium pumps, can't stand to run dry for any length
of time.

Scott H.
--- revance at indiana_edu wrote:
> Quoting "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>:
>
> > I'd recommend using eposy to affix the valve to the
> u-tube.
> > It's doesn't have any higher adhesion but it's
> stronger.
> >
> > As for a plexiglass fence at the top, why not just use
> > taller tank?
> >

> I think their idea is that by putting a plexiglass fence
> on a glass tank you
> can easily drill into it to put a drain on it (for those
> that don't want to
> drill into glass). Yes you could also just get a taller
> tank and set the siphon
> box lower, but that would require either utilizing less
> of your current tank or
> buying a larger one. If your going to buy another tank,
> you might as well just
> buy an acrylic one and put a drain tube through the
> bottom (ahh, what I would
> give for a nice BIG acrylic tank). Personally after
> thinking about their idea a
> bit, I think that if you are that worried about your tank
> overflowing, just
> spend $10 on a float switch and hook it up to your pump.
> If the skimmer box
> starts to fill up (you lost your siphon) have it switch
> your pump off. This way
> it saves your pump too. If you leave space in the tank to
> hold the water from
> the sump so it doesnt overflow if the siphon clogs, you
> will still burn up your
> pump if your siphon stops. It is also cheaper than buying
> plexi glass to make a
> fence out of. Just my opinion.

=====
S. Hieber

Amano Returns
to the AGA Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14, 2004 -- Crystal City, Virginia