Re: [APD] Re: siphon saga -- or - Missing connections

I'd recommend using eposy to affix the valve to the u-tube.
It's doesn't have any higher adhesion but it's stronger.

As for a plexiglass fence at the top, why not just use a
taller tank?

--- revance at indiana_edu wrote:
> > > where you
> > > connect a bleed
> > > line to the top of the U siphon and run this into the
> > > venturi of a power
> > > head. Thinking about possible failure modes, if the
> bleed
> > > line were to
> > > become disconnected, the siphon would be lost.
> >

> The idea here is to attach a check valve onto the U tube
> and run the bleed line
> off of that. So if the bleed line got disconnected, the
> siphon would still
> hold. Only if the check valve attached to the U tube
> (probably with silicone)
> came undone would it lose the siphon. If you do a good
> job attaching it with
> silicone it is unlikely this would happen.
>
> The idea of a plexi glass fence around the top of the
> tank to prevent overflow
> isn't a half bad idea. If you did a good job sealing it,
> you could fit it with
> a bulkhead and use it as your primary drain. If you
> aren't so confident with
> your sealing job and just want to use it as a backup to
> prevent overflow, it is
> possible (depending on your tank dimensions) to not even
> have a drain from the
> fence. For my tank, if I just made the fence a couple
> inches tall it would be
> possible for that extra height to hold all the water in
> my sump. I think it
> would be better to have a drain fit to it that runs back
> to the sump because
> then your filter can continue to run and won't burn up
> your pump. Depending on
> how I can fit this under a hood, I might consider doing
> that.

=====
S. Hieber

Amano Returns
to the AGA Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14, 2004 -- Crystal City, Virginia