[APD] tap water purifier

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion of the "Tap water purifier" made by
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. I have very hard water (even after going through a
softener), chlorine, etc.  Before I have always purchased RO water from the
grocery store. I just wonder... if it's as good as they make it out to be, why
do people still spend hundreds of dollars on RO filters (hence I am sceptical).
I am resetting up my aquarium (it has been empty for a while) with discus and
was wondering if this would work instead of my usual RO water (it's sure
cheaper). Any thoughts?