Re: [APD] The siphon saga continues...need safety shutoff!

I have seen devices that use water sensors to shut off devices, but they are
expensive and are designed to detect the slightest bit of moisture... I would
imagine you would want it to shut off before you get water on the floor so it
would make sense to mount the sensor in the overflow box above the waterline.
Problem is, there is a good chance it will get a little wet on a daily basis
and not necessarily when it is overflowing.

We were just talking about sump top off float switches, I bet you could
make/buy a float switch that would turn off the pump when the float bulb is
lifted. Just put this on the intake side of the siphon box and if the water
level starts to rise, it means the siphon is broken, thus it should turn off.
I would imagine this would be much more reliable (less false shut offs)then
using the expensive ones that use a moisture sensor.

I have always had drain pipes go through the bottom of my tanks, but am
setting up a tank with a siphon now. I will continue to look into this idea
and update you if I find anything.