Re: [APD] Tank setup revisited

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:35:15 -0800
From: "Beek, Graham" <Graham_Beek at ds-s.com>
Subject: [APD] Tank setup revisited
To: "'aquatic-plants at actwin_com'" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

I know that for every view there's always someone with the opposite view, so
here's mine....

snip...

As for pH for the popular fish, I would say between 6 and 8, ideally 6.5 to 7.5. Platies are nice and tough.

Graham

Ours views agree a lot, here, Graham.

It bears repeating. pH may be easy to measure (and make the LFS rich) but fish, like most plants, just don't feel pH as such until it gets down below 4 or above 10. More important measurements are GH, KH and/or TDS. Heavy metals and other toxins are often pH dependent, too.

Fish don't suffer from "pH Shock" if the sudden change doesn't include some other factor. A quick change from 6 to 9 causes no visible reaction, unless ammonium was present, or tds was wildly different (more than 2X change).

Your guideline of 6-8 is a good conservative one. It avoids possible acidosis at low pH and conversion of much ammonium to deadly ammonia at higher pH.

I hardly ever use my 2 pH pens or several test kits any more. They just fail to tell me anything useful (until I get back to injecting CO2).

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net
                    760 872-3995

"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?" [Alan Keyes]