[APD] Snail control with low GH

At times I've experimented with tanks with very low GH, that is, GH below 2
degrees/ 40 ppm.  Snail shells will be very thin and actually start to
dissolve in acidic water at GH this low.  They are much more venerable to
fish with thin shells.  It might take six months to wipe them out.  Of
course, if your water isn't naturally this pure you'll have to invest in an
RO unit.  My observation is that some plants don't do all that well with
super low GH, most are unaffected, and none that I've had have done better
(versus my normal tap water at GH=4-5)

Joe K in Takoma Park, MD
where the rain and the warm weather has brought out lots of early spring
bloomers