Re: [APD] Re: Growing Glosso Update

This seems like a crazy way to decide how much light ot put
on an aquarium. It's not that ad homminum appeals are rare
in the hobby -- they are quite common. But in this case
there is so little data put into the picture.

Are the tanks made for long term or for the photograph?

How much maintenncance is done, other relevent  stuff like
that.

That doesn't mean that one shouldn't try it.  But I
wouldn't equate the graph to something that supports a
general rule of thumb for lighting aquaria.

Scott H.
--- Andrew McLeod <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:46:16 -0500, Byron Yu
> <byronjyu at hotmail_com> wrote:
>
> If you look at the chart on the
> www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html page,
> you see that over the 'typical' range of a planted tank
> (say 20-100
> gallons) the WPG rule (the red line) is not a terrible
> indicator of the
> lighting used by Amano, and the V^(2/3) fit (green line)
> is possibly even
> better than the purple fit suggested (and works for
> larger tanks as well).
> Maybe I'll try it on the data given in the AGA contest...
>
> Just saying that the data is open to wide
> interpretation...
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Bill wrote:
> >> You have 6.5 watts per gallon!  That alone might be
> sufficient to raise
> >> the temperature to the 90's.  I wonder if that
> enormous amount of light
> could wage a
> >> successful attack.
> >> Others here know more about light and most other
> plants things than I
> >> do, but I think if you so much as look at your tank
> the wrong way you
> >> will >have a mess on your hands.  Maybe think about
> cutting back on the
> >> light?
> >
> > You should read this article...
> > http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html
> > It's a different approach to lighting and kind of
> throws aways that old
> > 3 watt/gallon rule. I believe in the theory cause when
> i only had 65
> > watts on my 20 gallon, my red plants were not turning
> red. I admit, even
> > based on that article i am still a bit on the high side
> of lighting, but
> > the plants are gorgeous, and the heat is controlled
> cause the lighting
> > source is 2 power compacts that have a fans on them.
> Besides, i think
> > the fish got ick not through stress, but through the
> introduction of
> > some new fish that had ick on them.
> >
> > which brings my to Candy's comment.I know i should have
> > sick/quarantine tank.i may get one yet.. but i'm just
> "fishing" for
> > other suggestions. Turning up the heat to 85 degrees
> sounds like a plan,
> > but i'm afraid my plants can't handle that. I believe
> my cyperus herefi
> > and lace plants don't like high temps. I don't want to
> be cruel, but my
> > plants and shrimps are all important.
>
> --
> Andrew McLeod
> thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk
>
> This email was scanned carefully before transmission to
> remove any
> content, information or relevance.

=====
S. Hieber

Amano Returns
to the AGA Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14, 2004 -- Crystal City, Virginia