Re: [APD] Re: Peat in substrate

The peat is sort of an instant mulm for a new tank. Tom's
measurement method is more than accurate enough. It doesn't
require some precise amount. cover the glass is plenty --
the water will find it -- the roots will find it. Ski it if
you want, it won't ruin your tank. Add mulm if you have it
but peat will do if yo don't have mulm.

Folks have used pure Flourite, Onyx, Eco-complete with
great success -- even starting a new tank without mulm.

Scott H.
--- John Wheeler <jcwheel76 at yahoo_com> wrote:

> I agree. I doesn't take much. Further, if you don't
> add it yourself, the tank itself will add it via mulm
> over time. Adding peat, or any other other humus, will
> only speed along a natural tank maturing process...
>

> Again, I agree. IMO, Clay products, including
> Flourite, turface, etc,  are woefully inadequate at
> delivering nutrients without help of strong humic
> substances like peat (etc) at tank set-up. Eventually,
> these products will be as good as any other via mulm
> and bacterial processes to unleash the goodies
> within...
>

> > If somebody in the Vancouver area has
> > some Profile, I'd like
> > to take a look at it & we could even run some simple
> > tests to see how
> > much iron it solubalizes. The idea would be to mix
> > some with about 5%
> > peat by weight in a sealed jar of water & then test
> > iron levels after a
> > week.
>
> How do you propose to test this? Bioavailable Fe seems
> to be difficult to test for botanists and geologists
> in solution, so how do you expect to do so? If you
> can, why can't we? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass,
> either:)
>

> > There are good reasons not to use fine materials
> > like vermiculite, clay
> > or dirt. The mess factor is a big one. If you have
> > chelated trace
> > nutrients, you really don't need to worry too much
> > about iron. On the
> > other hand, Tom has said that iron availability in
> > the substrate may be
> > a growth limiting factor when other nutrient needs
> > are taken care of.
>

> When did he say that?
>

> > You have to ask yourself if you want to deal with
> > pruning or harvesting
> > a lot of plant material every week. You also have to
> > worry about certain
> > types of plants colonizing the entire tank.
>
> I'll take that problem any day:) Come up with a
> solution and you'll be a hero.
>
> Certain types of plants dominating is baloney. We, as
> aquarists, have way more to do with that than the
> aquarium conditions themselves....
>

> > Steve in Vancouver where the sun is playing hide and
> > go seek with the
> > clouds but spring is definitely well under way.
>
> I love Spring, but football is on the way:)
>
> Best wishes,
> John Wheeler

=====
S. Hieber

Amano Returns
to the AGA Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14, 2004 -- Crystal City, Virginia