Re: [APD] phosphate woes

I agree... I would do numerous water changes until the levels come down. I
think this is a good lesson for everyone. Every time I want to change
something about my water (algae bloom, nitrate, etc...) my wife immediately
suggests I go to the lfs to find a chemical additive to fix it. I try to tell
her that any time you use some chemical additive, chances are it is going to
effect something else, probably in a negative way (and most don't tell you
what the ingredients are). It is better to find the source of the problem and
fix it there. I'm not saying all additives are bad... some work well if you
understand how they work and how to use them.

Unfortunately, most people who subscribe to this list already have a good
understanding of this... I just wish the people who work at the pet stores did
since they are the ones who push this stuff to people who don't know any
better. When I first started I didn't know any better... you wouldn't believe
the amount of CRAP the pet store sold me. I didn't have an aquarium... I had a
chemistry set. All I needed was a bunson burner, some beakers, and some swirly
glass still tubing... maybe I could have blown some stuff up. Oh well, you
live, you learn.