Re: [APD] Micro plant tank ideas?

Hi Jared,
That linker's a clinker for me. Do you have a direct
address rather than the tinyurl.com intermediary?

I have found this 7.5watt mini submersible heater. It is
supposedly preset but it doesn't say to what temp:

http://www.petdiscounters.com/aquarium/heating/heaters/mk_10975_heater.html

Hagen makes a mini submersible available at most of hte
online stores that handle Hagen/Tronic heaters, but it's a
whopping 25 watts -- whopping for tank that's only a couple
of gallons or less.

Scott H.
--- Jared Morris <jmorris at infostations_com> wrote:
> I personally think the mini bow 2.5 makes a great micro
> plant tank.  I work
> at a LFS, and have set up two of these as plant tanks in
> the past couple
> months.
> Here is what I've done to make them suitable:
>
> 1- Replace the Whisper cartridge with a sponge and some
> good bio-media like
> Ehiem efi-lav or the like.  keep the water level above
> the outflow to reduce
> excess surface agitation.
>
> 2 - Replace the standard incandescent light with a screw
> in 5500K cf.
>
> 3 - Use Florite or Flora Base as the substrate, and input
> carbon using
> Flourish excel carbon.
>
> 4 - Choose smaller plants like pygmy chain sword,
> corkscrew val, small
> cryps, etc.
>
> 5 - Buy a 5 watt submersible heater like this
> http://tinyurl.com/2ybum
>
> As for the puffers, great mini tank species choice,
> though they may pick on
> the shrimp... maybe.
>
> Jared

=====