[APD] experimental photosynthesis measurements

How is the illumination level typically measured when performing
experimental growth and/or photosynthesis measurements?

Is it based upon using a small tissue sample or a full sized specimen
with roots?

Do they measure light intensity at several places on the leaves &
average or simply take the "engineering" approach & base it upon the
average illumination computed on the surface area of the substrate?

One experimenter I read about measured oxygen levels (I think) to
determine how much photosynthesis was occurring so the experiment could
be done quite quickly. Other growth studies measured dried tissue from
plants & it would take several days or perhaps weeks to obtain one data
point.

Steve