[APD] Re: Self-ballasted PC lights?

> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:30:20 -0500
> From: revance at indiana_edu
>
> I was considering using a couple 85watt 6500K self-ballasted PC bulbs
> over my 65 gallon tank (that I will soon be setting up as a planted
> tank). They only cost between $25-$30

Unless I'm mistaken, this style of bulb is rated like a normal
incandescent bulb, i.e., an 85-watt PC bulb puts out as much light as an
85-watt incandescent bulb.  The light output of incandescent bulbs is
about 1/4 of the light output of fluorescent bulbs per watt.

You might want to check the lumen rating to see how they compare. For
reference, a 55-watt PC bulb from AH Supply produces 4600 lumens.

This will greatly affect your "watts/gallon" calculation and may inidcate
that these bulbs are not very cost-effective.

Unless I'm mistaken, of course.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
 The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
   http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/  (mirror)
   http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/