[APD] Peat as sponge?

Hello,

The recent posts about peat made me think about the peat I have in my filter, as well as the merit of adding peat to fertiliser balls/ agar. So does the peat act as a sponge for excess nutrients, leaching them back into the water when the nutrients' concentrations drop below a certain threshold. Or does the anions in the peat bind the nutrient cations and hold them there until a plant root hair comes into contact with the peat and strips it of the bound nutrients?
Someone please enlighten me...
Cheers,
-Seweryn