[APD] The Art of Lighting a BowfrontTank

I have a 72 gallon bowfront tank (All-Glass co.). It has the AH Supply
pre-made enclosure with 4 55W PCFs over it (220 W total). It works - plants
grow well, and so on - but it doesn't fit well. I can push it forward on the
tank to get good light onto the foreground, but then it is not aesthetically
appealing, and the plants in the back tend to grow towards the front of the
tank, making the tank look narrower than it is. Or, I can push it to the
back of the tank, but then the foreground plans get shaded by the midground
plants and tend to grow straight up, and the tank overall looks darker & not
as pretty.

I want to stay with the PCFs and have considered two solutions:

1) Raise the light box off the tank by 6" or so. This would lessen the light
intensity hitting the plants (by how much?), but would give better coverage
as the light would spread more. I think.

2) adding a custom made bowfront top (actually, I would redesign the entire
top) which has a 55W PCF bulb for the front, curved portion of the tank.
This would solve the light problem in the center of the front, but possible
leave the front "corners" unlit and maybe ugly looking. The 96W would
provide better coverage, but whoa, that's a lot of light and I wonder if it
would seem the same brightness as the area lit by the end-to-end 55s in the
back.

Ideas? Advice? Share your experiences?

Thanks,
Rachel