[APD] Re: Plant & Nutrient Imbalance ID

Rachel wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what plant this is, and what nutrient imbalance
> might be making it grow in this stunted & strange way?
>
> http://groups.msn.com/rsfish/problems.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=133
>
> http://groups.msn.com/rsfish/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=94
>
> I think the plant might be Nesea pedicellata. The tank has a GH or 5,
> from adding CaCO3 and Mg.
>
> I feel like if I could figure out how to get this plant to grow
> unstunted I would really be a successful aquatic gardener!

Hi, Rachel,

My first guess would be that iron is too low.  I've encountered
deformed leaves on several different species at one time or another,
and it has (so far) always turned out to be a problem with too little
iron.

Sometimes, if a rooted plant is having trouble, I find it useful to
add a substrate tab containing mostly iron under the plant to see how
it reacts.  If improvement is evident after a few weeks or so (fast
growers will show improvement quickly, slow growers less quick), then
chances are very good that the plant needs more Fe.  I use "Root
Tabs" by Aquarium Pharm. for this test since they contain a lot of
iron with only a little K and Mg thrown in.  My water has plenty of
Mg, and I add more than enough K through KNO3 additions, so that
leaves iron as the only "wildcard".

Hope it helps.
--
Chuck Huffine