Re: [APD] I Need Serious Help

First, give yourself a chance.  Read the label ingredients before you use a
product.

> I have a 30 gallon tank. It has a double flourescent with two thirty watt
> Triton bulbs, a Fluval 303 canister which I fill with Sea Chem DeNitrate and
> PhosGuard. I use RO water, to which I add Seachem Flourish Trace elements,
> and a touch of Seachem Discus Buffer. I have also been trying Flourish Excell
> to help add some carbon.

Seachem Discus Buffer is a phosphate buffer.  You have PhosGuard in the
filter.   I don't know which of those products is going to win the battle, but
either way you aren't going to get what you want, are you?

I don't know where you are or what your tap water is like, but almost any tap
water will be better for growing plants than poorly reconstituted RO water.
If you can't use your tap water or don't want to use it for some reason then
you should put some effort into reconstituting the RO water.  There are
products available for that purpose and I don't endorse any of them.

A good substrate helps too, but if your tank is two years old then you may not
be able to improve on the substrate that is already there.

You should be able to grow the plants you have in the setup you have and you
should be able to keep an attractive, easily maintained tank.  For starters
you need to remove the chemical media from your filter and start using either
tap water or a properly reconstituted RO water in the tank.

Roger Miller