Re: [APD] Actinic light and semantics

I don't disagree with your results Tom. And my much more
meager experience certainly doesen't present anything but
corroboration.

I haven't met Dr. HOvenac myself but I know some folks who
have and the seem to a lot of respect for him -- which is
not to say they agree with him all the time. [I did once
talk to a customer rep at Hagen that couldn't say enough
bad about Hovenac's papers re biofilter bacteria but he was
sore about what was implicit in those papers about Hagen's
bio boosters.]

I don't know how he came by his claim, but I don't think it
is disingenuous. And I doubt that it's part of a marketing
scheme from Marineland -- I don't think they put any
actinics in their Eclipse hoods. They barely put in enough
light of any kind [Of course, like most general market
hoods, they're not designed specifically for plants but for
low maintenance].

I'm not saying that anyone said he was disingenuous. I'm
just saying an actinic bulb's output is in the range of the
spectrum that plants use *but* only one part and I doubt
that an actinic bulb plus a triphosphor bulb or 50/50
actinic bulb and a triphoshor bulb will do much for plants
that you can't do with good quality triphosphors. But an
actinic does take up a whole slot that could be used by a
more balanced output bulb. So I doubt that, watt for watt,
putting in actinic bulb in the mix will help. Thus, I doubt
that it's is something one *should* do.

I do know someone that was burning actinics with his
triphosphors and when he replaced the actinics with
triphosphors, the plants seemed to improve, as if
responding to "more light." Not that that proves much --
lots of stuff going on an aquarium.

Maybe Hovenac wrote the article a long time ago. Why do I
say this? Because he mentions Aquasuns as 5000 K bulbs. I
assume he means the URI bulbs with the model name
"Aquasun." These haven't been rated at 5000 K for several
years. A big blue peak has been added and they are rated at
10000 K.

BTW, they are a very nice bulb as NOs and VHOS go -- very
good color rendition, appearance, plant growth -- adding an
actinic might spoil at least two out the three.

good luck, good fun,
Scott H.

=====
S. Hieber