[APD] Re: So what are my CO2 levels really?

Thanks Ann and Scott. I'm pretty sure my CO2 levels are okay - high enough, but not too high, but I'm just curious as to the actual concentration. I think the main problem is just my ability to read the pH test results. I already do the double volume KH thingy - always comes up b/w 4.5 and 5 (tap water is only 11ppm so I have to add NaHCO3).

I think I'll hold off on the CO2 test kit. Based on the low stability of the reagents, I don't think I could ever really trust the results anyway.

I'll try purging the water sample of CO2 as you suggested, Scott, and see the effect on pH (btw - I have another non-CO2 tank with similar water parameters and the pH always reads 7.2-7.4, so I think the kit is okay).

Also, I have access to a good quality pH probe at work, so I thought I might bring in a sample in a tightly sealed container filled to the brim and test that. CO2 loss from the sample should be insignificant if it's well sealed don't you think? I'll also test the purged sample. If the readings disagree with my test kit then I think I'll look into getting a better quality pH kit.

Thanks again

Clint Brearley
Melbourne, Australia