[APD] Mosses and their scientific names

Hi, everyone,

A couple of years ago, there was a sudden surge in interest in mosses on this mailing list because of a certain
lawsuit. There were 2 persons in particular who tried very hard to find out the identity of the Christmas Moss which
was, at that time a plant which was pretty unknown to hobbyists living outside Singapore. I wonder where Stephan Mifsud
and James Purchase are. I never thought I say this but I kind of miss James. It's been some time since I saw a post
from him.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to let those folks who love mosses know that the mystery about the scientific names
of various aquatic mosses grown in our tanks is going to be solved soon. We now know the genus names although the
species names cannot be confirmed yet. It could turn out to be quite a shocker for some, as it was for me. What I thought
I knew all along, it turned out that I was wrong. What I didn't know; the answer was there all the time staring me in the face.
You may find this hard to swallow but we all got the scientific name of Java Moss wrong. It isn't Vescularia dubyana.

I have this on expert authority, from a world-renowned bryologist named Dr Benito Tan who lives in Singapore. I met Dr Benito
this morning and what he told me after seeing the mosses I brought left me in a daze. If you like to find out more about the
true identities of the various mosses, namely Java, Christmas, Taiwan, Erect and Willow, please go to:

http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587

Loh K L