[APD] DIY CO2 in terrariums?

I'm looking at trying to grow marsilea and a small sword in a fish bowl - the trick is that I don't want much water. I want to get the both growing emersed.

Can you use DIY CO2 and have the tubing just "dumping" CO2 into a covered fish bowl? CO2 is heavier than air so it would settle at the bottom and displace the normal air, right?

Just wondering if anyone has played with it - or if you have any tips on moving a baby, submersed sword over to an emersed enviroment. Thanks.
Chris