Re: [APD] Re: Bubbles? -- or - The results are in!

So, I made the needed modifications to my reactor tonight. Made a quick trip over to Home Depot and picked up the necessary parts. I've put up a few pics that can be seen here:
http://www.terrellclan.com/reactor.html
It's a handful of pics, so you dial-up go-ers, heads up!

And the verdict? Well, I don't know yet, I can say two joints aren't water tight and will need some sealing somehow. They're barely leaking anything, but it also implies air could be getting in. I definitely want to use the clear piece, but I'll just have to see if it's possible.

I also want to modify it so that there is a 'burp' valve at the top to get rid of built up extra gases. It works much better now, so to everyone I extend my greatest thanks!

As far as breakdown of price, you just can't beat the DIY method. Overall I spent:

~$14.00 - PVC tube, fittings, etc.
~2hrs work (less if you do it right the first time)

That doesn't include the clear tube, that was a gravel vac tube I had that happens to fit very well (but is slightly leaking, nothing some silicon glue won't fix). Also doesn't include the handful of bio balls I used and the nylon tube. Overall you could have this thing really cheap, and I hope to see good results from it, and from what I hear it should do a great job!

Thanks a bunch!

-Dave T.

David Terrell wrote:
Bah yes, I didn't out the Pi in the equation

Pi (2r)^2     Pi 4r^2
--------- ->  -------  take out r^2 and pi (common) = 4
Pi r^2        Pi r^2

Definately need a refresher, or to take my time.  Can't do math like I
used to :-(