Re: [APD] Re: Bubbles? -- or - Some hard topics

Cool, two things:

1: I said a 3/4" nylon tube to a 1.5" PVC was a 2x growth in volume,
that's just false.  Just a 2x growth in diameter, and thus a 2xPi growth
in volume, being more then 6 times growth!  For a second I was going to
try to figure out the flow rate through the tubes and PVC, but it's been
too long and I'll definately miss something, but I would almost want to
assume 1/6'th water flow rate (velocity) through the reactor then the
nylon tube to achieve the same result of 500g/hr.  There's no way for me
to even begin guessing at how fast it really is, how much pressure is
exerted on a bubble of size X, and the resulting direction of said
bubble :-(  I'll just have to find out tonight when I get to fiddle some
more :-)

2: I agree, the tap _should_ be acting as a venturi, why it doesn't?
Your guess is as good as mine.  It's a flat pipe.  I'll just move it and
stop asking questions.  Originally I used it on an earlier reactor
design in which the flow was desired.  As you can imagine, the reactor I
built had far too small flow rate and esentially did nothing :-(  The
good 'ol stickin it near the impeller did well, until I became
disatisfied with my CO2 ppm and usage.

Ok, three points ;-)  My tank continues to produce bubbles, interestingly
my money wort is producing some on the bottom side of the leaves thus I
suspect O2 production.  Some stem plants that had a trim recently are
still showing damag and shoving off small streams of bubbles, looks like
a stream in a beer/soda bottle!  Out of curiosity I think I'll do some
readings tonight to find out what made them so happy.

Four, you say?  Ok ;-)  I took a reading recently of GH in my tank.  To
my surprise and fear, it read 30!  I thought it couldn't be right and
redid the test, yet again it was 30!  'Uh oh' I thought, as I quickly
went to the tap to test source water...2 degrees!  WOW, what in the H*LL
could be causing my GH to rise so sharply?  KH, btw, was 2 and pH 7.  I
have laterite substrate, 'normal' freshwater aquatic plants, 2-3mm
gravel and the wet/dry setup I showed earlier in the thread.  I dose
text book pmdd 2-3x/wk and don't use any sort of buffers...think I could
*knock knock* on my water soon!

-Dave T.