Re: [APD] Re: Bubbles? -- or - Can sumpin' be a gas?

>Has anyone tried this?
No, but I'm glad you asked.  Why?  I had asked this very question when
considering my reactor plans.  Brand new my filter setup looked like
this:
http://www.terrellclan.com/filter.jpg
Those are two 5g buckets and a storage container I got from Target.  I
got the design (I believe) from thekrib.com.  The top bucket has a ring
cut out of the bottom to make a kind of 'shelf' for a plate, where the
bio balls rest.  They fill the entire 5g bucket up to about 1" from the
top, where the bottom of the other bucket sits.  It acts as a drip
plate, which has progressively larger holes drilled in a sunbirst from
the center of the plate(which doesn't have any holes).  I've thought in
the past to seal up this unit entirely, around the elbow near the top,
and around the seam where the buckets meet.  Personally, and not being
any kind of expert, I think the inner volume of this might be too large
to make for a good reactor, plus, if I seal the system then the only
allowed oxygen is going to come from the water.  And on top of that, the
water coming down the pipe doesn't completely fill the pip, although I
think this would be a very small amount, some air could escape and come
down through the overflow.  This is why I opted for the external reactor
(which I still haven't finished).

So, could I use my filter as a reactor?  Maybe not mine, but can one use
their trickle as a reactor?  The materials are the same, as is the
premise.

-Dave