[APD] Hagen test kits? Flying blind

Hi all,
I was going over Big Al's website making my wish list and although I am aware that the lamotte test kits are more accurate (from reading archives) they are out of my price range.

I am wanting test kits that are close enough to accurate for our use specifically to allow me to dose fertilizers. Since this is my first real attempt at planted tanks I don't yet know all of the "look at the plant for signs of what they need" tricks of the trade. I figure I have to start somewhere and hopefully over time I will learn to use my plants as indicators.

At this time I have all the ingredients to make pmdd or dose dry including phosphate and am afraid to use them. (You can order all of them at http://www.gregwatson.com/ very fast and friendly service)

I have contacted the city water lab and got every report they have of any kind. They are all about useless. I can tell average ph/kh/gh and even that varies a lot depending on rain and which source they get our water from. By now the water lab is used to me bugging them and brings any new report they do to my door by hand.

Any way you look at it the water classes as HARD from 200-300ppm average jumping up to 500ppm in times of low/no rain. I am for this reason using part tap part RO.

I was able to get a few readings which I posted http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200312/msg00898.html asking for help. No one replied I assume because I did not have a complete water analysis. Thing is they can't even tell me where to send a sample to to have one run on my own. I have also contacted the county agriculture office with the same result. So for now I am left with no other choice than to order test kits, look up recommended nutrient levels in the archives and fly blind. Well I guess I do have a choice, Plastic plants....... :(

I would like to know if anyone is aware of any reason I should not order the following test kits: Hagen
NUTRAFIN TEST KIT PH LOW RANGE (6.0-7.6)
NUTRAFIN TEST KIT PHOSPHATE FRESHWATER/SALTWATER
NUTRAFIN TEST KIT NITRATE FRESHWATER/SALTWATER
NUTRAFIN TEST KIT IRON FRESHWATER/SALTWATER
NUTRAFIN TEST KIT GH/KH FRESHWATER/SALTWATER
NUTRAFIN TEST KIT CALCIUM FRESHWATER/SALTWATER

Are they accurate enough?

Thanks
Candy