Re: [APD] Re: Need guidance with DIY compact fluorescents

I believe the 13 watt bulbs are really just like the
"old-fashioned" bulbs that used the little "tin-can"
starter except that the starter element is built into the
base of the bulb.

Rapid Starts (pre-heats) require a rapid start ballast1,
which preheats the filaments with current before sending
the "starter" voltage into the bulb. And then the filaments
continue to have some current running through them, which
serves no useful purpose unless the place where the bulb is
used is particularly cold. Rapid starts generally will
light with an appropirate electronic ballast. Some
semi-electronic ballasts, pre-heat, then drop the current
through the filaments once the bulb is lit.

Scott H.

=====
S. Hieber