[APD] heating pads

I have an old and rather large (10x20) reptile heating pad that has lost it's stickiness and I could easily put it between the insulation board and tank bottom...however, there is no way to regulate the temp so I was going to rule it out because I was worried about temp spikes. It gets VERY hot, in fact you would not want to leave your hand on it for any length of time. Maybe I could wrap it in a few layers of tin foil first leaving an extra 6 to 10 inches on either end to help conduct and spred the heat out? What do you guy's think?