[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 5, Issue 68

Sandra,
I'm not sure you would derive any benefit the way you describe this setup.
The intent with substrate heating is to give the plants (roots) "warm feet,"
as it has been described, meaning most of the supposed benefit of substrate
heating is derived from processes initiated by the temperature difference
between the water column and the substrate.

You would be heating the water and the substrate, or at least the water
under the substrate, to the same temperature with your setup the way it is.

I'd refer you to the following excellent article on substrate heating by our
very own George Booth, taken from the Krib.
http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-cables.html

Regards,
Dave