Re: [APD] Alternative substrate heating idea

Hard to say if you would get much flow through the
substrate given that you will have a pretty strong current
flowing through the tubes (in and out).

But it would be hard to assess any benefit from the design
since it's been awfully hard to assess any benefit from
substrate heating of any type, at least as far as plant
growth and substrate "health" are concerned.

A simpler alternative would be to have only one down-tube
and that one with a heater in it. The slight convection
would draw water up the spout gently, drawing water into
the substrate. Again, what benefit this would provide is
dubious at best.

Scott H.
--- Sandra Derrick <mygenericemailname at yahoo_com> wrote:
> I wanted to get some imput on a substrate heating idea
> based loosely on a Karen Randall design; using a u.g.
> filter plate covered in a nylon to prevent substrate
> particle loss, I would have a chamber added to one lift
> tube large enough to house a submersable heater, the top
> of the tube would have the outflow hose from my canister
> filter fed into it creating a downward flow into the u.g.
> plate. the oposite end would have a small powerhead on
> the lift tube creating "lift" which sould cause the warm
> water to flow under the plate and back into the aquarium-
> the powerhead would be about half way to the surface and
> would not have the venturi added, so it wouldn't create
> too much surface disruption, only a bit of movement in
> the water itself. Don't know if this will work...let me
> know what ya'all think.

=====
S. Hieber