[APD] Re: Amazon Biotope

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:55:02 -0600, Steven Pituch <spituch at ev1_net> wrote:

Andrew,
Do me a favor. If you do get some Tropica Ludwigia helminthorrhiza please
check out some photos on my web site at:
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/unidentified/unidentified.html , and look
at "Unidentified Plant #1".

The picture on the Tropica site shows the floating form, although I did see
the lower part of the picture at another sit that shows submerged foliage.

I think my plant is (or is very similar to) L. helminthorrhiza, but since I
live in Texas, L. helminthorrhiza is not supposed to be here. It is
supposed to extend north only to southern Mexico. However, in that case I
still want to know what it is. I have grown it emersed in dry soil, and as
a floating plant, but it seems to grow nicely from the substrate, and when
it reaches the surface it forms very pretty rosettes. The entire plant
looks to me to be like a very pretty rose bush complete with green flowers
(the leaf rosettes).

If you do get some please compare it to my photos.

Thanks,
Steve Pituch

I will try and remember to do that when I get it, but for now I found two bigger pictures of it at "http://www.molluscan.com/macrophytes/":
http://www.thelist.per.sg/macrophytes/waterbanana1.jpg
http://www.thelist.per.sg/macrophytes/waterbanana2.jpg

I think the aerial roots are the big distinguishing factor, and I'm not 100% sure your picture looks like these pictures. I think it's also called (I worked this out from the names of the pictures, suprise suprise) Water Banana because the roots look like tiny bananas, however I have also seen this name on the Internet associated with Ludwigia Ascendens, described as:

'Water Banana (Ludwigia adscendens)

Class : Dicot

Family : Onagraceae

It is a half-submerged plant measuring 60 cm tall. It is found in Africa, Asia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, New Guinea and Australia. It is a fairly common plant, found in streams and ponds. This species can grow rooted in mud or floating in water. It has alternate leaves, which have leaf blades with blunt tips. Individual flowers are found at the axils of each leaf and possess white or yellow petals. It belongs to the Water Primrose family.'

Happy to help!

I assume you live in America, so I wouldn't be able to send you any...

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.