[APD] Amazon biotype

> Message date : Jan 16 2004, 08:14 PM
> From : rspahn at sackets-harbor-high_moric.org
>
> Hi Andrew, Here's my experience on some of the plants on your list:
> Alternathera Roseafolia  -can be tough to grow submersed
> Cabomba Piauhenyensis - needs good lighting
> Eichornia Crassipes - an awefully big floating plant
> Ludwigia Helminthorrhiza - wow, if you find this plant, can you let me
> know where?!
> Phyllanthhus Fluitains - needs a lot of TLC, only grew in a tank with
> no surface movement
> Limnobium Laevigatum- will probably grow like a weed, covers a
> large area, and will shade the plants that need a lot of light
>
> This is just my personal experience and could be greatly different
> from your own experiences.  Ray

I was planning to let the biggest plants reach the surface, and I liked Limnobium Laevigatum because it looked a bit like a minature version of the Victoria Lily (well it's round and it floats, and that's close enough for me). I am probably pushing my luck with the Cabomba, but I'll try anyway. No water hyancinth then, (I've almost trimmed my plant list down to a reasonable number now). Ludwigia Helminthorrhiza is on the list of Tropica plants, which I can find (at least its the same list of plants) at birstall.co.uk in the UK, although there's bound to be a better seller.
I think I'm going to rethink my 50W of T8. I might buy 2x 55W or 2x36W compact fluorescents, and only use one until the floating growth is done, or considering how quickly floating plants grow I might not bother. The light will be elevated, so that will reduce it, and the floating plants (which always seem to need lots of light) can take up most of the rest, so that I'm down to 1.5-2 wpg or less.
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime