[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 5, Issue 62 (kiddy pools)

Way back in the middle 50's it was easy to pick up discarded kiddy pools
being put out for garbage. I was able to get 4 (6'x 18") pools to raise
both plants and livebearers out doors under 2 gigantic pecan trees from
March to the end of October (here in New Orleans).

I used a formular of Aquarium "type"
gravel with 1/2" of composted cow manure covered by more aquarium "type"
gravel and topped off by pea gravel both gravel and composted cow manure
were free. I then filled the pools with tap water, waited a week and
then planted each with different type of plants (corkscrew vals ,regular
vals, Amazon swords, Cape Fear spatterdock, crypts and aponogetons.
Between the plants and the fish, I would make enough money to support my
hobby until it was warm enough to begin again the following year.

LFS's couldn't get plants of any near the quality I could provide for
the same price and they would buy all I could sell.  You have no idea
how many corkscrew vals there are, when they cover the bottom of a kiddy
pool or how large and beautiful Amazons and "Cape Fear" Spatterdock will
get in a little over 6 months.  <VBG>

I also bred some croaking gourami in one of the kiddy pools and in
"those" days they commanded very good money.  Things were a lot simpler
then (sigh).  I was also able to collect very long strands of Elodea
canadensis (36" to 48" long) from a pond in Audubon Park for free (free
is always good), these I also sold to the LFS'S.  They couldn't believe
how good a plant grower and fish breeder I was (RIGHT).

Ah .... the days of youth, gone but not forgotten.  OBTW, many plants
were kept in my personal aquariums for "seed" plants for the next season

Leo