[APD] RE: algae/plant competition and uptake rates

This is a (very) wild stab in a (very) dark place, but I had a thought about
why algae doesn't grow when there are plenty of nutrients. It goes back to
the discussion on whether high K prevents the uptake of Ca. My thought was
that maybe plants are better adapted at taking up nutrients at a higer level
than algae. Perhaps high nutrients block the uptake of, say, N03 in algae
but it doesn't effect plants. Does this make sense to anyone?

Has anyone (Tom?!) furnished a tank with rocks, driftwood etc and dosed to
the correct levels, 2W/g but NO plants? Crazy I know, but surely that would
tell us whether the plants themselves stop the algae growing.

Graham