From: "Clint Brearley" <clint_brearley at telstra_com>
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 8:46 PM
Subject: [APD] FL on tall tanks - can it be done?

I've often heard people say that for tanks >18" tall, you really NEED the
higher intensity of MH or PC lighting to get good growth. I have a hard time
accepting this. Say for example you have a 48x24x24" tank (432L or 114gal).
Is it possible to have a nice looking, healthy plant tank with just normal
40W T8 fluorescent tubes with plain white plastic reflectors. Say 6 tubes
for ~2.1wpg. Can it be done, or do you really NEED MH or PC lighting for
tanks this tall? Anyone successfully doing so? The reason I ask is because I
would eventually like to upgrade to a larger tank, but PC lighting isn't
readily available here and I don't like the look of MH. BTW - I'm not after
a high-light tank with 50 different plant species, so would like to use FL
if I could. Thanks.

Clint Brearley
Melbourne, Australia