[APD] Rift Lake Algae

Tom

You asked me how I could work on this tank at work and still do my job. Answer: In a way, it is my job. How you ask? The ladies in the office gave my boss a ten gallon setup for Christmas. My boss is part owner of the company. He kindly told me he was expecting me to help him with the tank. (Read that as set it up for him in his office.) A friend of mine decided to get out of the Reef hobby and wanted to get rid of his equipment. I saw the potential for a great tank at work and told my boss about it. He bought the equipment, I returned the ten gallon setup, I was given almost free reign to set up the tank as I saw fit at his expense. He originally wanted "Nemo" in his tank. I told him that was too expensive and convinced him that Africans were the second best choice. I have never kept Rift Lake Africans and saw this as a learning opportunity. I now have to contend with office politics. The ladies are happy with plastic plants, orange dyed coral, sunken ships, etc. They thougt the large piece of mudstone was too much. The fact that it was a real rock was astounding to at least one of them. The 80 lbs of Lace rock will make them think I have gone completely crazy.
It was easier to say I received a used 75 gallon tank than to go through this explanation. I wasn't intentionally trying to mislead anyone.

Back to plants: I originally asked about algae. You listed Pithophora, Cladophora, Coleochaete, Dicotomosiphon, and Vaucheria as good candidates for establishment in an African Cichlid tank. I checked the 1999 Carolina Biological Supply Company catalog (www.carolina.com) I have at work and found a large list of algae offered for sale. They offered Coleochaete and Vaucheria in 1999. I cross checked with my copy of Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 19th ed. and found a match in the area of "algae growing on reservoir walls". The genera listed and available from Carolina are: Draparnaldia, Microspora, Oedogonium, Stigeoclonium, Ulothrix, and Vaucheria. Other algae available eliminating those that are Diatoms, Taste and Odor Algae, Filter Clogging Algae, Polluted Water Algae and Plankton are: Ankistrodesmus, Characiosiphon, Coleochaete, Cosmarium, Mesotaenium, Platydorina, Selenastrum capricornutam, Botrydiopsis, Botrydium, Ophiocytium, and Tribonema. Could you comment on these algae as to their suitability for growth in an aquarium and their ability to provide nutrients to the fish.? Will there be any competition between the genera? Are there any to avoid? Cultures cost $5.10 plus postage in 1999. Enough for 30 students they say.

Concerning transfer of BBA spores between home and work a few questions. 1. How would they get transfered if I didn't bring anything from home except myself? Are they in the air? I will bleach(19:1) any plants purchased first.
2. To be sure I understand you correctly concerning my bringing BBA mulm to work, it sounds like you are saying it is possible to bring the mulm to the work tank and then treat the work tank with CuSO4. I know the archives speak to this treatment. Is this correct?

Concerning the filter: You mentioned the Peace lilies in the filter. Is that the plant that is sold in Betta bowls nowadays in the USA? Would Cryptcorynes substitute? I imagine I would need to build a means to keep the humidity up while the plant is growing.

You also mentioned using a RFUG. Did you mean in the filter? I still haven't settled on a filter design. Any ideas are welcome. The filter is 29 1/2 x 11 1/2 by 11 1/2.

I am falling asleep. Got to go.

Thanks, Jerry